Why hello readers! I must start by saying I’m so sorry for my absence! It has been a busy Christmas, New Years and School holidays! Now our family is settling back into a routine, I can organise myself better and show my blog some more love.
My previous post on starting my very own home-grown kombucha, has literally been a massive success within my household. Well just my hubby and I. Kids not game enough to try it.
When we usually reach for a soft drink during dinner, we now opt for a Kombucha mix. Our intake of soft drinks has dropped dramatically, because once we start a can of coke, we tend to get another one 😒
I left off my last post off with putting my batch back in the cupboard because it tasted sweet. You want your batch to slightly taste vinegary with a slight sour taste.
When it’s ready:
With clean hands, lift the SCOBY out of the jar and place it into a clean bowl
- Place a strainer over or in the large bowl and pour the liquid into the bowl through the strainer to catch any of the SCOBY remnants
- Remove the strainer and place the funnel in one of the 1 litre bottles
- Using a ladle, pour the liquid into the bottle and once full, fill the second one
- Now you can add the flavouring of your choice, here are a few basic flavours:
- Blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries
- Diced orange or apple
- Thinly sliced ginger
- Put the lid or stopper on the bottles and leave them on the kitchen bench for 24-72 hours, this will infuse the flavour, continue the brewing process and add a little fizz
- Once they’re done, place them in the fridge and they are ready to drink once cold
- Don’t worry if there is no fizz, the beneficial bacteria is still there and you could mix a little with soda or mineral water if you needed fizz
(Above I used lemon and ginger)
To consume – I add about 50 ml to soda water.
It will all depend on your stomach, so I suggest starting with small amounts and building up the strength.
There are health warnings if you over consume, so please read up on the side affects if you have any concerns.
But I’m loving it, mixing up flavours and knowing I’m doing some sort of good to my body
Recipes from Kombucha Recipe